6.10.2008

BBQ Pork

As I went to the grocery store with no particular plan for making dinner I sauntered over to the meats section of the King Soopers. Looking for random inspiration I noticed that pork loin was on sale at about half price. This got me thinking that I could make some sort of BBQ pork sandwich even though I didn't have a recipe to work off of or any knowledge of what to do. I ended up picking up the loin, 2 bottles of honey BBQ, some whole wheat rolls, brussel sprouts to go on the side, and a half a peach pie for dessert. I was going to use the slow cooker for this, but was kind of short on time, so I needed to medium cook it. In a pot I put the pork (chopped into managable chunks) one of the bottles of BBQ, some rosemary, and garlic powder just to add a little flavor. I set the burner on low and let it cook for about 2 hours. After the pork was well cooked I took shredded it as best as I could (pork shoulder works a little better for this) and then mixed in the remaining bottle of BBQ and put back on a burner on super low just to keep warm. While I was shredding I started boiling the brussel sprouts. This takes roughly 15 minutes. It is a good idea to taste test this because if it doesn't cook long enough it is too hard to bite into and if it cooks to long it gets a bitter taste to it. When it comes out perfect there should be a light sweet taste when you bite into it. It isn't overwhelming, but it is there and preferable to a strong bitter taste. It was a fairly well balanced meal with the whole grains, veggies, fruit, and what turned out to be a lean meat after all the fat cooked off int the pot. There were also plenty of leftovers so I have lunch for the next couple days as well.

No comments: