6.28.2010

Jack's Chicken Salad & Karen's Tuna Salad

Last Sunday was father's day, but it was also Bob and my first anniversary. We celebrated our anniversary B & E style with a baseball game, some mini golf, a picnic, and then a movie at home. My father was kind enough to hang out with our dogs while B and I were out celebrating.

In return, we decided to celebrate father's day with a dinner yesterday. I told my dad that I would make him anything he wanted for dinner. Anything. What did my dad chose? Steak and mashed potatoes? Corn on the cob and chicken? Hot dogs and brats on the grill?

He chose chicken salad wraps.

A few weeks ago, Bob and my dad were working really hard to assemble the new bed I bought in honor of Bob and my first anniversary - prior to this we were sleeping on a hand me down mattress on the floor. They were working hard, while I made lunch. I made chicken salad with apples and spinach. It made quite an impression on my dad, so I have decided to name it after him. (Happy Father's Day!)

Jack's Chicken Salad

Grill up a few chicken breasts. Let them sit for a few mins, then chop them into bite sized pieces. Add an apple, diced into bite sized pieces - we use Gala apples. Chop up a handful of fresh spinach leaves. Add the following spices - dried or fresh - dill, tarragon, celery salt, basil, and garlic. Then, add about 1/2 cup mayonnaise - mix everything together. We eat this immediately. I eat mine with Nut Thins, and everyone else eats theirs on wraps.

Karen's Tuna Salad

I'm going to take this opportunity to post my a salad I make sometimes for my mother. My mom and I work Tuesday evenings together. During our shifts, we get a half-hour dinner break. Sometimes, we each make part of a dinner and share it.

My mom doesn't like most meats or fish, but she does like tuna. I created a healthier version of her favorite tuna salad. I read someplace about using mashed avocado instead of mayonnaise in tuna salad. I had to convince my mom that she liked avocado, but now she likes this very much.

Open up a few cans of tuna and put them into a bowl. In another bowl, mash a few avocados with the following spices - dried or fresh - dill, tarragon, celery salt, basil, and garlic. Mix together the tuna and the avocado mixture. I eat mine with Nut Thins, and everyone else eats theirs on wraps.

No comments: