4.21.2008

Sweet Potato Burritos

When Bob and I were first dating, we found out that we have a shared love for Potato Burritos from Big City Burrito in Fort Collins, Colorado. They are one of the greatest things on earth. Big City takes cheese, potato pieces, ranch dressing, salsa, guacamole and sour cream and wraps them up in your choice of tortilla. It doesn’t sound that great, but it’s amazing. I have taken first timers there, Big City virgins, and no one has ever been disappointed by the visit.

Early in our dating, when we were pulling out all the stops to impress each other, I picked up some burritos while I was visiting my sister in Fort Collins. It had been years since Bob had ate one. While we were eating them, Bob told me of his potato burrito recipe that he had mastered during his bachelorhood, how he ate them daily, and how it helped him put on 40lbs. I said, and possibly just as an attempt to impress him, “I think I could make a healthy version of these that we could make at home and eat more often.”

And I did.

First, pre heat the oven to 425. Take a decent sized sweet potato, wash it, dice it, and toss it on a cookie sheet.

I need to interrupt here and state that I am from the Rachael Ray School of cooking. I don’t really measure things and I call olive oil EVOO.

Drizzle EVOO over the pieces; sprinkle about half a palm full of cumin and about the same amount of cayenne over the sweet potato. Mix it with your hands to make sure all the pieces are evenly coated. Bake for ten mins, shuffle the pieces around on the cookie sheet so they bake evenly, then bake for another ten mins.

When the pieces are done baking, toss some of them on a tortilla (we like spinach tortillas!) and add your toppings. We always add a spoonful of Ranch dressing to take the recipe back to its Big City roots. Bob likes to add Cholula. Diced avocado, diced tomato, and diced black olives are good too. Sometimes we use some shredded cheddar cheese, but if you leave it out, the recipe is vegan.

We make this recipe at least once a week and its always amazing.

No comments: