7.07.2008

E's Top of the Town

5280 mag put out their annual 'Top of the Town' issue. Here's my Top of the Town:

Italian:
5280 picked: Osteria Marco
Readers picked: Pasta's Italian restaurant (I've been here and was not impressed)
My pick: Rico's.
I've been going to this place since high school and it never disappoints. I love the veggie spaghetti. The place is kinda a dive, located in Englewood on Broadway just north of Hampden, but its always good. (note: they only take cash.)

Mexican:
5280: Santiago's Mexican Restaurant
Readers: Benny's Restaurante y Tequila Bar 
My pick: Blue Bonnet
Bob introduced me to Blue Bonnet about a year ago, and I don't know why I ever ate anywhere else. This place is awesome, mellow, and very cool. I've never had a better margarita, and everything I've ate there has been great. Neither Bob nor I has ever been to either of the other picks, and we will be trying them to see if they are better. Located Broadway and Alameda. 

Thai:
5280: Chada Thai
Readers: Thai Basil (been here, its cute, but I've had better)
My pick: Wild Ginger
This is the best Pad Thai I've ever had. The best curry I've ever had. The best spring rolls I've ever had. Go there. Enjoy. I'll go with you if you want. And beware of Thai Hot.... it's not for the faint of heart, its just for Bob. Wild Ginger is located on Littleton Blvd, just west of Broadway.

Sushi:
5280: Sushi Tora
Readers: Sushi Den (been here, and its eh)
My pick: Land of Sushi
This place has a great $1 a piece happy hour special. The miso soup is to die for. I'm a sucker for a great Philadelphia roll and the one at Land of Sushi is very well balanced. Land of Sushi is located at University and Arapahoe Rd

Deli:
5280: Salvaggio's Italian Deli
Readers: Heidi's Brooklyn Deli (I hate Heidi's. They always mess up my order, there is always a line, and its not that great.)
My pick: Abe's in downtown Littleton
I love the veggie sandwich, the french dip, the chicken salad, and the pita. When the weather is nice, its great to sit outside.

Burger:
5280: Ted's Montana Grill, Elway's, and SmashBurger
Readers: Cherry Cricket
My pick: Cherry Cricket or City Grille
I rarely eat burgers. The last two I've ate have been at these places. They are very special. City Grill is on Colfax near the capital, Cherry Cricket is in Cherry Creek behind Crate and Barrel.

Diner:
5280: Rocky Mountain Diner
Readers: Steuben's
My pick: Pete's Kitchen or Cherry Cricket
Pete's Kitchen is the best diner atmosphere and diner food I've had in the city. And the Cherry Cricket.....you can't beat a diner with a bar in it. Pete's Kitchen is located on Colfax.

Pizza:
5280: Parisi
Readers: Proto's Pizzeria Napoletana
My Pick: Parisi
I forgot about this place until I read 5280's review. A friend and I stumbled upon this place on accident while we were waiting for a concert. Its so good.

Happy Hour Menu:
5280 & Readers: McCormick's Fish House & Bar (Bob and I will have to try this)
My pick: The Boulder Cafe
Bob and his friend took me here a few months ago, and I have been dying to get back. Its awesome and I wish there were more places like it.

Breakfast Sandwich
5280: no pick. They couldnt find anything good enough
My pick: The Pita Breakfast Sandwich at Pete's Kitchen
No matter what time of day it is, this is what I get when I'm at Pete's. 

No comments: