10.20.2008

Vegetarian Chili


Bob likes to think of himself as a chili making master. He makes a pretty decent green chili, a very spicy red chili, and once he made a whiskey chili that he doesn't like to speak about. But I make a pretty decent vegetarian chili. Like most of my recipes, its a Rachael Ray recipe.

Start by turning the stove top heat on medium under a large pot. Add some EVOO. Toss in a large chopped white onion, a chopped red pepper, and 2 chopped cloves of garlic. You can also add a chopped jalapeno, but I since I am not allowed to chop jalapenos since the time I got some juice in my eyes, I don't add jalapenos. Let the pepper, onion and garlic cook down for about 5 mins.

After the pepper, onion, and garlic have cooked down, add 1 can of drained kidney beans, 1 can of drained black beans, 1 can of refriend beans, 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes, and 8oz of vegetable broth.  Toss in a handful of cumin and a handful of chili powder. Let the mixture come to a boil, then bring it down to a simmer. Simmer for 5mins, then enjoy.

I like to put some blue tortilla chips in the bottom of the bowl, spoon some chili over top, then add some shredded cheese and sour cream to the top.


No comments: