2.14.2010

Roast Chicken


Bob loves roast or baked chicken. In an attempt to cut back on the amount we spend on food, and to simplify our meal planning, Monday night at our home is 'chicken night.' I do not work on Monday's, and roast chicken is something that I can easily toss in the oven and leave to bake while I work on cleaning the house or doing some of my other projects. Bob works Monday afternoons and evenings, and a few weeks ago when he came home for his dinner break, he told me that he could smell the food from his parking spot outside our home and was so excited that those yummy smells were coming from his home.

I am almost embarrassed to post this, because it is really, really easy. Also, I like B to think that I have slaved in the kitchen all day to create the meal for him.

First, preheat the oven to 450. I always use a quartered chicken, but you can roast a whole chicken, just cook it a little longer. I season the chicken skin with various spices, depending on our mood, but one of our favorites is a lemon garlic poultry blend that we buy at our local spice shop - Savory Spice shop (http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/)

Then, I put the pieces in a roasting pan and place them in the oven. I let them bake 45mins, then test to see if the pieces reach 165 on the meat thermometer. If so, they are disease free and safe to eat!

I usually pair this with a quick side, like a tossed salad or some veggies.

No comments: